OFID Kindly Assists Developing Countries
The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries' (OPEC) Fund for International Development (OFID) provided US$99.3 million to support projects in nine developing countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean and Europe. Later, following the devastation of Cyclone Sidr in Bangladesh, OFID contributed a further US$500,000 in relief aid that was distributed through various local agencies.
To commend OPEC for their dedicated care in providing much-needed developmental and humanitarian assistance through OFID, Supreme Master Ching Hai awarded the organization with the Shining World Leadership Award. The Director-General of OFID, Mr. Suleiman J. Al-Herbish, wrote a letter of appreciation to Supreme Master Ching Hai, saying: "It is an honour to be receiving this award alongside so many likeminded individuals and organizations serving various noble causes. For more than 30 years, OFID has been supporting the world's poorest nations in their development efforts and we will continue to pursue these activities in line with our mandate... I take this opportunity to wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors, and thank you once again for this important Award."
- President of the European Council, His Excellency Herman Achille Van Rompuy
- South Africa – Protecting the Seals
- Compassionate Leaders, Illuminating Policies - Governor Pat Quinn
- New Regulation Enhances Animal Protection - Minister Stan Struthers
- Mr. Josep Rull, Member of Parliament in Catalonia, Spain - Governments Defending the Animals
- Compassionate Leaders, Illuminating Policies - H. E. José Ramos-Horta President of the Democratic
- Northern Ireland Ends Hare Coursing - Mr. Roy Beggs Jr.
- Honoring a Wise President of the Philippines, Mrs. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo
- Congressman Filho - A Voice for the Voiceless
- Jordan Ban Smoking in Public Places - Minister of Health, Dr. Nayef Al-Fayez