Mr. Girolamo Sirchia - A Courageous Implementation of the Anti-Smoking Law Has Improved Public Healt
Former Italian Health Minister Girolamo Sirchia of Italy was awarded the 'Shining World Leadership' by Supreme Master Ching Hai for his courageous and successful implementation of the anti-smoking law across Italy.
The law, designed to protect public health, was welcomed by the vast majority of Italians. (83% before the introduction of the law, increased to 90% after). Since its coming into force in January 2005, tobacco consumption in the country evidently dropped, and half a million people quit smoking within ten months.
On receiving the award, Mr. Sirchia, in a letter dated March 6, Golden Year 4 (2007), expressed his gratitude for the acknowledgement of the efforts made to enforce the law and the positive effects it brought, and complimented Master's work for humanity.
Metro, Italy, October 19, 2006 (Originally in Italian)
The article published in Metro, a free Roman newspaper, says: Only a year and a half ago, bars and restaurants were filled with smoke clouds from cigarettes. Today, after the smoking ban in public places, the result is positive and many smokers have given up cigarettes.
- President of the European Council, His Excellency Herman Achille Van Rompuy
- South Africa – Protecting the Seals
- Compassionate Leaders, Illuminating Policies - Governor Pat Quinn
- New Regulation Enhances Animal Protection - Minister Stan Struthers
- Mr. Josep Rull, Member of Parliament in Catalonia, Spain - Governments Defending the Animals
- Compassionate Leaders, Illuminating Policies - H. E. José Ramos-Horta President of the Democratic
- Northern Ireland Ends Hare Coursing - Mr. Roy Beggs Jr.
- Honoring a Wise President of the Philippines, Mrs. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo
- Congressman Filho - A Voice for the Voiceless
- Jordan Ban Smoking in Public Places - Minister of Health, Dr. Nayef Al-Fayez