A Motorcycle Taxi Driver with a Noble Heart - Mr. Hong Van Pham
A serious road accident that could have ended in a tragedy turned out to be a blessing in disguise for Hong Van Pham. An Aulacese local of Trung Trac village in Hung Yen province, Mr. Hong was deeply touched by the compassion of a passerby who rushed him to the hospital after a traffic accident in 1987. Following his recovery, he has devoted much of his time translating his appreciation for life into actions of love.
Mr. Hong lives in an area where accidents often arise from the steady flow of traffic heading for the National Highway, a mere 15 km away. Having developed a special empathy for road accident victims, he voluntarily serves as a traffic cop during rush hour, and advises pedestrians and drivers to abide by the traffic rules. His job as a motorcycle taxi driver helps further his cause, making it possible for him to easily go to the aid of accident victims. When the need arises, he even generously pays for their medical expenses!
Such sacrifices are all the more meaningful considering that he and his wife, a vegetable and fruit vendor, earn a meager income and have three children to raise. Thanks to his unconditional love and dedication to saving lives, Mr. Hong has earned the honorable titles of “Living Saint” and “Guardian Angel” among the local people.
On May 20, Golden Year 5 (2008), Mr. Hong Van Pham received international recognition for his wonderful deeds, when our Association members presented him with the Shining World Compassion Award on behalf of Supreme Master Ching Hai. In a cheerful atmosphere filled with love, a representative read aloud a touching letter from the Supreme Master. The surprised “Good Samaritan” thanked Her for the noble Award and promised to dedicate the monetary gift of US$500 (VND 8 million) from our Association members to serving the community.
We wish Mr. Hong and his family peace and happiness under the grace and blessings of The Most High. We believe that a brighter future awaits us as yet another shining model of humanity devotes his life to bringing love and peace to society.
- Ms. Salima Kadaoui and SFT Animal Sanctuary
- A Courageous Advocate for World Peace and a Humanitarian Activist - Mr. Keith McHenry
- Oliver Edwards, A Young Boy with a Big Heart
- Mr. Ali Al Ghamdi of Saudi Arabia Receives Shining World Compassion Award
- Protecing Wild and Companion Animals – Ms. Carla Cornella of the FAADA
- Humane Society International Receives Shining World Award
- A Torchbearer for Children – Daniel Bissonnette Promotes a Vegan World
- Thanuwana Serasinghe, World’s Youngest Health Food Author
- Bringing Bright Hope to People with Homemade Teddy Bears– Campbell Remess
- Youth Activist Organization, Animal Hero Kids, Receives Shining World Compassion