Stoves for Darfur - Mr. Spencer Brodsky
Seventeen year-old Spencer Brodsky believes that one individual can make a difference in our world. It was this belief that empowered him to create a humanitarian relief project in 2007 called “Stoves for Darfur,” to provide fuel-efficient stoves for women and families in Darfur and other parts of Africa.
In association with CHF International, a worldwide aid organization, Spencer has been able to provide over 4,000 stoves to date at a cost of only US$30 each. These stoves allow the families to use 70% less wood to prepare their cooked meals, thus decreasing deforestation as well as saving them time and protecting them from dangers in their search for wood. The CHF project director commented, “These women are so grateful for this initiative.”
Spencer said, “I believe in the power of one. I feel teenagers can make a positive impact in our world. I was taught from an early age about the importance of Tikkun Olam, which in Hebrew means ‘to repair our world’. I hope my work will inspire others, whether working individually or in a group, and show that they too can make our world a better place.”
After learning about Spencer’s creative and passionate idea, Supreme Master Ching Hai awarded him a Shining World Compassion Award for his selfless and merciful heart towards those in need. Master also provided a US$12,000 contribution to his organization to further this noble endeavor.
In his appreciation letter on Feb 2, Golden Year 6 (2009), Spencer said that this Award will forever serve to remind him that “service to others is important and is recognized by those who share the desire for spreading compassion throughout the world,” and that Master’s contribution will be used to help families in some of the poorest areas in Africa. He also said, “I feel women and families in Darfur need to know that they are not alone. We care. Your kindness, and the kindness of others, let me know that I am not alone in this feeling.” May Heaven bless you, Mr. Spencer Brodsky, and all your benevolent endeavors, providing others, especially our younger generation, with a true example of love in action.
- Purépecha People of Cherán, Mexico, Courageously Protect the Environment
- “Hope For Wildlife” Honored In Shining World Compassion Award Ceremony
- President of the European Council, His Excellency Herman Achille Van Rompuy
- Courageous Man Saves Girl In Well
- Mr. John Byrne - A Righteous Rabbit Rescue
- Award Day Honors Blessed Abode For Exotic Birds
- SASHA Farm - A Most Welcome Place For Farm Animals
- Mama Rosy of Mexico – Always by the Children’s Side
- Canine Luna: Saving Families via Intuition and Intelligence
- Ryan Curtis: The Humble Valor of a Boy