A Hero Saves His Canine Friends During a Typhoon
On December 23, Golden Year 7 (2010), our Association members from Kaohsiung Center presented, on behalf of Supreme Master Ching Hai, the Shining World Hero Award to Mr. Chen Shueh-jen for his heroic action in saving more than 400 canines when a typhoon swept through southern Formosa earlier in September.
Many years ago, Mr. Chen had built the Aranya Dog Sanctuary on a piece of farmland in Gangshan. He wanted to express his respect for all life by providing a refuge for our homeless animal co-inhabitants. The sanctuary is now home to more than 400 dogs. When Typhoon Fanapi brought heavy rainfall last year, water rose four meters high and quickly submerged the sanctuary. Instead of fleeing for his life, Mr. Chen chose to stay and single-handedly transferred his 400 canine friends to higher ground. In spite of the cold and wet conditions, they survived two long days before being rescued, thanks to half a bottle of mineral water and some dog food.
For his courageous and selfless action, Mr. Chen received the Shining World Hero Award and a contribution of US$10,000 from Master to assist with the reconstruction of the sanctuary. On behalf of his canine friends, he expressed his deepest gratitude to Master for the timely gift that would help him complete his project.
We are thankful to Mr. Chen for embracing the noble ideal of building a warm haven for his beloved dogs. May he and his canine friends be forever blessed with Heaven’s love and grace.
- Purépecha People of Cherán, Mexico, Courageously Protect the Environment
- “Hope For Wildlife” Honored In Shining World Compassion Award Ceremony
- President of the European Council, His Excellency Herman Achille Van Rompuy
- Courageous Man Saves Girl In Well
- Mr. John Byrne - A Righteous Rabbit Rescue
- Award Day Honors Blessed Abode For Exotic Birds
- SASHA Farm - A Most Welcome Place For Farm Animals
- Mama Rosy of Mexico – Always by the Children’s Side
- Canine Luna: Saving Families via Intuition and Intelligence
- Ryan Curtis: The Humble Valor of a Boy