India - A Country Committed to Protecting the Sacred Cows
The holy spiritual wonderland of India is home to a quarter of the world's cow population. These revered animals, estimated at between 200-400 million in number, are considered sacred and equal to human life in the Hindu scriptures. In fact, cows are regarded as a symbol of abundance, the sanctity of all life and as the "second mother," for they serve human beings unconditionally by giving abundantly while asking for nothing in return. With a population that is an estimated as being 82% Hindu, it's no wonder the humble cow, giver of life to countless people, is respected and honored in India.
It is notable that as a nation, India is committed to cow protection. The life of the cow is legally protected in all but a small minority of India's 28 states and federally administered territories and is also protected under the 1960 Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act (PCA). Killing cows is even prohibited by the national Constitution. Article 48 states: "The State shall endeavor or organize agriculture and animal husbandry on modern and scientific lines and shall, in particular, take steps for preserving and improving the breeds, and prohibiting the slaughter of cows and calves and other milch (milk giving) and draught cattle." Article 51 A(g) further stipulates that: "It shall be the fundamental duty of every citizen of India to protect and improve the Natural Environment including forests, lakes, rivers and wildlife, and to have compassion for all living creatures."
Recently, India's esteemed statesmen have enhanced cow protection by enforcing existing laws through stricter policing and proposing new legislation where needed. To convey Her high regard and heartfelt gratitude for protecting the lives of these sacred animals, our most beloved Master has graciously bestowed upon India both the Shining World Compassion and Shining World Leadership Awards! May the Most High continue to bless India, and may more and more countries find wisdom in this enlightened treatment of the beautiful and peaceful cow.
- Ms. Salima Kadaoui and SFT Animal Sanctuary
- A Courageous Advocate for World Peace and a Humanitarian Activist - Mr. Keith McHenry
- Oliver Edwards, A Young Boy with a Big Heart
- Mr. Ali Al Ghamdi of Saudi Arabia Receives Shining World Compassion Award
- Protecing Wild and Companion Animals – Ms. Carla Cornella of the FAADA
- Humane Society International Receives Shining World Award
- A Torchbearer for Children – Daniel Bissonnette Promotes a Vegan World
- Thanuwana Serasinghe, World’s Youngest Health Food Author
- Bringing Bright Hope to People with Homemade Teddy Bears– Campbell Remess
- Youth Activist Organization, Animal Hero Kids, Receives Shining World Compassion